英語閱讀英語小故事

雙語暢銷書《我是馬拉拉》第12章:血色廣場(9)

本文已影響 2.81W人 

Both the army and the Taliban were powerful.

雙語暢銷書《我是馬拉拉》第12章:血色廣場(9)
無論是軍隊還是塔利班,看起來勢力都很強大。

Sometimes their roadblocks were less than a kilometre apart on the same main roads.

有時候,他們在同一條大路上架設路障,中間相隔不到一公里

They would stop us but seemed unaware of each other's presence. It was unbelievable.

他們會要求我們停下來接受檢查,但似乎並不知道不遠處對方的存在。這真的很匪夷所思。

No one understood why we were not being defended.

沒有人明白爲什麼我們沒有受到保護。

People would say they were two sides of the same coin.

人們會說他們是一個問題的兩個方面。

My father said we common people were like chaff caught between the two stones of a water mill.

父親說,我們這些平民百姓就像卡在石臼縫隙裏的粗糠一樣。

But he still wasn't afraid. He said we should continue to speak out.

但是,他依然毫不畏懼,繼續爲公衆大聲疾呼。

I am only human, and when I heard the guns my heart used to beat very fast.

我只是一個普通人,剛開始,每次聽到槍聲,我的心臟就會跳得很快。

Sometimes I was very afraid but I said nothing, and it didn't mean I would stop going to school.

我非常害怕,但是,我不說出來。這並不表示我會停止去上課

But fear is very powerful and in the end it was this fear that had made people turn against Shabana. Terror had made people cruel.

恐懼是一種非常強大的力量,最後,正是恐懼使得人們開始抵抗塔利班。恐懼讓人們變得殘忍。

The Taliban bulldozed both our Pashtun values and the values of Islam.

塔利班毀滅了普什圖人的信念,以及伊斯蘭教義的價值。

I tried to distract myself by reading Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time, which answered big questions such as how the universe began and whether time could run backwards.

爲了讓自己分心,我開始閱讀史蒂芬·霍金的《時間簡史》,這本書探討了很多大問題,比如宇宙是如何形成的,以及時間是否能倒轉,並給出了自己的答案。

I was only eleven years old and already I wished it could.

我只有十一歲,卻已經開始盼望時光倒流。

We Pashtuns know the stone of revenge never decays, and when you do something wrong you will face the music.

普什圖人深信“復仇之石永不枯爛”。如果你做了錯事,就要直面由此帶來的後果。

But when would that be? we continually asked ourselves.

但報應什麼時候纔會降臨呢?我們不斷地詢問。

猜你喜歡

熱點閱讀

最新文章