双语畅销书《我是马拉拉》第20章:谁是马拉拉?(3)
As we waited for the signal to start the exam, I recited holy verses to myself.
等待开始答题之前,我心里默念神圣的诗句。I completed the paper but I knew I'd made a mistake filling in the blanks.
我答完了考卷,但很快发现我在一道填空题上出了错。I was so cross with myself I almost cried.
我生自己的气,气到差点落泪。
It was just one question worth only one mark, but it made me feel that something devastating was going to happen.
那道题目只不过占一分,但它让我预感到某种更具破坏性的事情将要发生。When I got home that afternoon I was sleepy, but the next day was Pakistan Studies, a difficult paper for me.
那天下午回到家时,我很困,但第二天的考试科目是巴基斯坦研究,一门对我来说难度较高的课。I was worried about losing even more marks so I made myself coffee with milk to drive away the devils of sleep.
我很担心自己会拿到更低的成绩。所以,我为自己泡了一杯加牛奶的咖啡,想以此来驱走睡魔。When my mother came she tried it and liked it and drank the rest.
母亲来看我时,尝了一口我的饮料,觉得很好喝,便一口气把剩下的全部喝光了。I could not tell her, 'Bhabi, please stop it, that's my coffee.'
我没有办法对她开口说:“嫂嫂,别喝了,那可是我的救命咖啡啊。”But there was no more coffee left in the cupboard.
而橱柜里的咖啡已经喝完了。Once again I stayed up late, memorising the textbook about the history of our independence.
这天,我照样复习到很晚,背诵课本上关于独立的章节。In the morning my parents came to my room as usual and woke me up.
一大早,父母和往常一样来我的房间叫我起床。I don't remember a single school day on which I woke up early by myself.
在我的记忆里,在过往上学的所有日子里,从没有一天是我自己主动爬起来的。